Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hendrix and Heroin?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,710 Times in 307 Posts

Hendrix and Heroin?

While I have always taken the line that it wasn't Jimi's dope in Toronto, I have recently wondered whether I have been naive over the years, and that Jimi was doing more smack than I had previously "believed"...yeah we know there wasn't any track marks on body...but could have been snorting? I can think of some interesting Hendrix episodes that would make a lot more sense with Jimi having a healthy dope habit. Devon did...
    Anyway just wondering what the verdict is on his "possible" relationship with smack.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Hendrix and Heroin?

Toronto, for example could have been a deal gone wrong or something...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,157 Times in 1,598 Posts

Jimi was snorting heroin, not injecting it, as mention by Kathy Etchingham and Noel Redding. In February 1970 when Jeffrey was trying to reform the Experience and the decision was made to go with Billy Cox instead, Noel dropped by one of Jimi's sessions and Jimi offered him what he thought was just cocaine to snort. It turned out it was cocaine laced with heroin and it was so strong Noel said it made him sick.

Thanks

I'd forgotten that anecdote - thank you. It is conjecture on my part, but Jimi himself makes a veiled reference in Freedom - "But I don't need it now, just trying to slap it out of her hands" etc, I think heroin use is still somewhat glossed over in most versions of Hendrix history. Of course this might take us to places we choose not to go. But, this has to be said, there is a much commented, definite change in Mitch's style in 1970, to the point where sometimes I would beg to have someone like Buddy back in the group. I think it is drug use, which has enormous influence on tempos thoughout the history of popular music. Gimme your worst, it's only hypothetical. But smack is in there I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    Jimi was snorting heroin, not injecting it, as mention by Kathy Etchingham and Noel Redding. In February 1970 when Jeffrey was trying to reform the Experience and the decision was made to go with Billy Cox instead, Noel dropped by one of Jimi's sessions and Jimi offered him what he thought was just cocaine to snort. It turned out it was cocaine laced with heroin and it was so strong Noel said it made him sick.

Thanks

This may explain a change in Mitch's style.

GRAHAM NASH OF CSN

He was a great kid, more of a jazz drummer, in the Charlie Watts mold. Our respective groups were on the road all the time, so whenever Mitch was in town he stayed at my place. As a result, we hung out together and went around to Jimi's quite a bit.

All that time, I never saw the fucker sleep. Mitch was always up, always zoning. With all due respect, we smoked alot of dope, but Mitch was higher than that most of the time. He loved to greet the morning with half a tab of acid, just to see what the day brought.
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 02-06-16 at 02:18 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Attachment 25443

Regarding Mitch there are some photos of him out there where he looks so wasted that it doesn't even look like him. Page 85 of Noel's book has this photo. Does anyone else think that Mitch in this photo looks like a totally different person?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 376 Posts

Are you sure it is Mitch?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Are you sure it is Mitch?
    That's a good question: no i'm not sure because that looks nothing like him to me. However everywhere I've seen that photo it claims to be of the Experience, including Mitch. When I look at the photos in the insert for the Dagger "Oakland Coliseum" the photos of him playing onstage also don't look like him (to me). I've never heard of anyone subbing for him onstage or off so my assumption is that it's Mitch but a very haggard Mitch but I'm not claiming certainty on anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 794 Posts

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That picture looks nothing like Mitch Mitchell! 1968??

16. The Following User Says Thank You to markustea For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    Attachment 25443

Regarding Mitch there are some photos of him out there where he looks so wasted that it doesn't even look like him. Page 85 of Noel's book has this photo. Does anyone else think that Mitch in this photo looks like a totally different person?
    That's not Mitch in that photo.

Thanks

That's Tony Glover, I believe, who interviewed Jimi. It's not Mitch. I always thought Alan Douglas' comment in the WB film about how he would check out the drugs first, before letting them get to Jimi was a reference to smack

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainflower For This Useful Post:

Thanks

21. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rainflower View Post
    That's Tony Glover, I believe, who interviewed Jimi. It's not Mitch. I always thought Alan Douglas' comment in the WB film about how he would check out the drugs first, before letting them get to Jimi was a reference to smack

Don't think so. If you watch the interview with Douglas carefully after he says he would check his drugs out for him he kind of mumbles it but he says "to make sure he wouldn't get a bad trip and things..." or something to that effect I haven't watched it for a while though.

Thanks

Attachment 25445
    Great link J.Lucas. So now that we're looking at the uncropped photo, which is Tony Glover? The heavy set dude on the far left or the skinny dude I assumed was smacked out Mitch?

Thanks

....So now that we're looking at the uncropped photo, which is Tony Glover?......

http://westbankboogie.com/archive.php

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/149707920

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Attachment 25445
    Great link J.Lucas. So now that we're looking at the uncropped photo, which is Tony Glover? The heavy set dude on the far left or the skinny dude I assumed was smacked out Mitch?
    The guy with the mic in his hand.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainflower View Post
    Me too. In fact, I had originally thought of this, among some other things - Jimi hanging with Devon a lot around the same time as Douglas was "producing". There is something else too - the Allen/Aleem brothers were dealing smack (along with other drugs as well), for Fat Jack Taylor (just finished reading you see) and Jimi was spending more time around this scene in NY around that time. Sure he could have any number of dealers, of course. But a steady supply from old mates, would assist.

Thanks

Whoops - sorry! Thanks for the link JL. Now reading through it, I see that all of the relevant material is there, and many of the conclusions that people brought up, are similar to my own...especially European Tour 70 comments...I surely read that at the time, it has just slipped my mind...I consider my wrists slapped.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post