Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hendrix and Heroin?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 827 Posts

Re: Hendrix and Heroin?

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    ... does not an "era" make, ...
    Miles' influence on the Hendrix legacy is so significant and with undisputed impact - sure, 'era' is appropriate. The simple fact that the 'time' factor was so little speaks volumes for Buddy.
    ... like Buddy Miles talking of his 'touring' with Hendrix.
    I cannot say how many times Miles accompanied Hendrix, as a non-performing friend, on Hendrix tours. Hendrix & Miles did studio and concert stuff in addition to who knows how much 'after-hours' jams - Buddy also opened for Hendrix at some shows, so yeah, 'touring' is ok to say.

moving on ...
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 540 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manfree View Post
    I know it`s not Heroin, But it`s Jimi and it`s Drugs, Has anyone else heard the story Lemmy tells,
    Where he states that Jimi arrived in London with a Huge amount of LSD in his suitcase?
    It kinda sounds like Lemmy Bullshit, I`m not even sure of his "I was Jimi`s Roadie" Story!
    Unless any of you guys know better, and can enlighten me?
    There's some stories of Jimi selling speed in NY before fame, perhaps he also sold acid to supplant his income. Or it was for personal use, either way it sounds plausible.

Thanks

Not saying I agree ... yada yada yada ...

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 5,611 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Buddy also opened for Hendrix at some shows, so yeah, 'touring' is ok to say.
    Buddy was referring to BOGs, ie like many others in 'showbiz' he was prone to bullshitting, so not ok.
    and anyway two gigs, or whatever it was, with the Express as a support act does not make a "tour".

Miles' influence on the Hendrix legacy is so significant and with undisputed impact
    Not saying I agree with them, but that "udisputed impact" was seen by many as being a negative one, including articles in several 'rock' publications, eg Rolling Stone where they thought Hendrix succeeded at the Fillmore E. shows despite the drummer. Eddie Kramer?
    Whatever impact he had should be described as "controversial."
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-30-16 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks

^
    sheesh ... moving on ...

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    There's some stories of Jimi selling speed in NY before fame, perhaps he also sold acid to supplant his income. Or it was for personal use, either way it sounds plausible.
    yeah, I recall a video interview with Fayne Pridgon saying Hendrix surprising her with acid. Not clear on the timeline tho.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^
    sheesh ... moving on ...

yeah, I recall a video interview with Fayne Pridgon saying Hendrix surprising her with acid. Not clear on the timeline tho.
    1967 after Monterey.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackIrish55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not saying I agree with them, but that "udisputed impact" was seen by many as being a negative one, including articles in several 'rock' publications, eg Rolling Stone where they thought Hendrix succeeded at the Fillmore E. shows despite the drummer. Eddie Kramer?
    The reviews included Billy Cox's bass playing as a negative ("plodding") (Chris Welch) though I view Cox's inclusion in the group (JHE 2.0) an upgrade, the bass work on BOG is a revelation, so the "negative" comments from long ago reviews should be taken in that context, Hendrix added new elements to his music which reviewers and some fans didn't like, this element is disparaged (Miles/Cox,lyrics,etc.) but Hendrix's guitar work rises above "if only he would return to Redding/Mitchell all would be right in the rock universe" some such insinuation runs through most reviews of BOG and Miles involvement with Hendrix.

"controversial." maybe a little more than Noel Redding's tenure but not by much didn't "Jimi overdubbed the bass parts", "anybody could be Jimi's bass player = example army buddy Cox".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,710 Times in 307 Posts

Interesting that you should provide this quote - because it is instructive to the debate...That is to say, that different observers to the situation have different tastes - and the white rock world of that time, may have criticised Buddy because his style was simply not what a lot of mainstream rock folk were used to. It doesn't mean it was necessarily bad - it is just a writers opinion, not fact. It doesn't back up anything as fact. As we know it took years for the BoG period to perhaps get the attention it deserved. I have to say that one of EH's best contributions, which made me like them a bit more after First Rays debacle was that BoG documentary. It recontextualised that often overlooked side of Jimi, and the battle around his racial identity - after years of docos saying "oh we didn't see Jimi as black etc etc" - I know it was not the first commentary - David Henderson made many interesting points on race in his book for example - the point is, that Jimi was an artist - and he experimented and just as with most artist's work - some will like and some will not. I personally enjoy Buddy's contribution - from his work on EL on...he's not everyone's cup of tea - so be it. I am still not entirely sure who really edged Buddy out - yes we all know what happened at MSG - which brings me back to the original proposition - was heroin in the mix around this time? I don't believe the whole Jeffrey gave him LSD thing...I don't know whether Jimi was feeling management pressure to get rid of Buddy, or rather as others have said that it was Jimi himself who felt Miles a bit overbearing in his musical personality???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,426 Times in 308 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    (...)I don't believe the whole Jeffrey gave him LSD thing...I don't know whether Jimi was feeling management pressure to get rid of Buddy, or rather as others have said that it was Jimi himself who felt Miles a bit overbearing in his musical personality???
    Well...it has been said by Billy and Jimi, too...so, we don't have to rely on Buddy about it:

Jimi, at that shameful charade Jeffery schemed to try to put Noel down his throat again - with, who would tell, right?, a little wine... (sorry, but I got the blues about all this):

"We're in the process of, you know, getting our own thing together now again. Like we'll have time scheduled in a way so there'll be time on the side to play with your friends. That's why like I'll be jamming with Billy and Buddy and probably recording, too, on the side."

If this is too difficult to understand, I would say Jimi is telling us that:

Billy and Miles are his friends (and the other two guys no so much...);
    he likes to play with them (so, he likes Buddy's drumming, for Christ!);
    he foresee future recordings with his friends (with Buddy's drumming! argh! ) although his management (as stated by Billy and Miles) had fired them.

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...-Magazine-1970

but, as always, just my opinion...

Thanks

I can agree with that. Except the Jeffrey stuff...I do think he was pushing to get the Experience cash cow back on the road...and from his point of view that was probably warranted in some way, because they had a big debt with Electric Lady and Jimi was also collecting a lot of studio debt too - and look what was being recorded in 1969 - like you guys, I love it all in its way, but Jimi had kind of lost the "mission" in the studio - lots of fairly uncomplicated 12-bar structures and the like - off the cuff, some interesting stuff, but nothing really releasable in the market of "that time" - Jimi was still a pop artist in Jeffrey's eyes - the musicians themselves knew that they were transitioning into an era where rock was taken seriously - but management had still not gotten the memo, they remained pop in their eyes - and ephemeral too - Jeffrey would know that most pop acts are only passing fads - I don't think anyone would have thought that we would be STUDYING his life 46 years later...and I am not so callous as to think that Jimi wasn't coerced in many ways - it is just that after all these years I become less convinced of Jeffrey theories...like any story he is a bit of a scapegoat for "mysterious events"...of which there are still many in Jimi's short life.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just to add - with the benefit of retrospect, we can see how much interesting stuff Jimi does have in the can during the period - I mean large parts of 1969 were productive, and they were obviously tired, who can blame them? No one can keep producing art like battery hens, which is kind of how pop stars were treated - a quick buck commodity - Although Jimi as we now know had many excellent instrumentals (for example) that might of made a couple of nice contemporary LPs - a bit like Nine to the Universe style - and offered another side of Jimi to contemporary audiences - and maybe to more "sophisticated" listeners who were put off by his image, and such releases may have helped him with shaking off the pop side of things that he is fed up with by 1970 - re: IoW asides...which was an internal struggle that Jimi had that we cannot underestimate...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 540 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    Just to add - with the benefit of retrospect, we can see how much interesting stuff Jimi does have in the can during the period - I mean large parts of 1969 were productive, and they were obviously tired, who can blame them? No one can keep producing art like battery hens, which is kind of how pop stars were treated - a quick buck commodity - Although Jimi as we now know had many excellent instrumentals (for example) that might of made a couple of nice contemporary LPs - a bit like Nine to the Universe style - and offered another side of Jimi to contemporary audiences - and maybe to more "sophisticated" listeners who were put off by his image, and such releases may have helped him with shaking off the pop side of things that he is fed up with by 1970 - re: IoW asides...which was an internal struggle that Jimi had that we cannot underestimate...
    For sure. But Jimi didn't himself didn't feel much of what he recorded in 1969 was suitable for commercial release, otherwise he'd tried to get an album released, and there's no evidence that he ever did. He could have fought his corner on that - and perhaps we'd have a nice little 4th official studio album - but in the end it seems he shared Jeffery's view that his next release should be a song-based rock album. That's one of the enigmas in the Hendrix story; he was sort of caught in a pop star role, but did he didn't push too hard to challenge it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    For sure. But Jimi didn't himself didn't feel much of what he recorded in 1969 was suitable for commercial release, otherwise he'd tried to get an album released, and there's no evidence that he ever did. He could have fought his corner on that - and perhaps we'd have a nice little 4th official studio album - but in the end it seems he shared Jeffery's view that his next release should be a song-based rock album. That's one of the enigmas in the Hendrix story; he was sort of caught in a pop star role, but did he didn't push too hard to challenge it.
    and I would like to add in 1969:
    - the Chalpin deal prevented Hendrix from releasing anything of his own new materials.
    - the chemistry with Noel was at a dead end from the beginning of the year.
    - Hendrix was the highest earning musician on the planet and felt no need or perhaps felt a huge pressure to release a new album.
    - and to return to the topic of the thread, Hendrix was more involved with drugs or at least hanging out with the (wrong kind of) people promoting this kind of lifestyle.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The picture I've gotten is that Hendrix was using Heroin frequently especially with Devon. Because of touring Jimi probably had periods on and off the drug. It's very hard to maintain a heroin habit on the road but it would probably be easier for Hendrix than most. About Hendrix having to graduate to smoking or shooting eventually, this isn't necessarily true. If you don't like needles you can maintain a heroin habit only sniffing for years and years. It sounds like this is what Hendrix was doing. I know there is that story of him showing up really high to a club one day with Devon and wanting to jam. One thing that really interests me...the story about Hendrix second arrest...where he had the substance that couldn't be identified? This is very strange....does anyone have any idea what this was? Hendrix was confident he wouldn't be charged even he was arrested and he intentionally brought it through customs despite his past arrest for heroin....it's just a really weird story....I'd very much like to learn more about this. It is quite a strange mystery

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DDF!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDF!! View Post
    I know there is that story of him showing up really high to a club one day with Devon and wanting to jam. One thing that really interests me...the story about Hendrix second arrest...where he had the substance that couldn't be identified? This is very strange....does anyone have any idea what this was? Hendrix was confident he wouldn't be charged even he was arrested and he intentionally brought it through customs despite his past arrest for heroin....it's just a really weird story....I'd very much like to learn more about this. It is quite a strange mystery
    The club 'story' (Devon wasn't mentioned, Monika was) and this '2nd bust story' are post mortem pish by well dodgy characters who had very little contact with Hendrix (Burdon, Wright, Levine) trying to come up with something 'original' to pad out their non-existent or pathetically thin 'memories' to sell articles (Bob Levine) or rubbish books (Burdon & Wright - who appears to just copy Burdon's earlier pish, but swapping himself for Burdon!).
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-25-16 at 05:30 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

They don't sound all that unbelievable though. Devon was clearly on heroin, and she was shooting it, Jimi talks about it in his lyrics. It seems like he got caught up in it too. I know there were some concerts where Jimi was "sick"...I've heard from someone who was saw him in San Diego in 68 I think at the sports area and they said he was sick and stopped playing although I don't hear that from the boot but it does seem like a short set. The second bust story....who was this told by? I remember it being told by one of the roadies (?) who was in the car with Hendrix on the way to the airport. If Hendrix was arrested a second time, there would be press reports and it would be corroborated. I thought I've seen the press report of his second arrest....am I mistaken?

Thanks

They don't sound all that unbelievable though.
    Ha-ha-ha. I can't believe you actually read their trash 'novels' and Bob's story and came up with this comment?

Devon was clearly on heroin, and she was shooting it, Jimi talks about it in his lyrics.
    Yes, we know. I didn't quibble with that part in my reply
    I just took exception to the ridiculous stories by Wright, Burdon and Levine

It seems like he got caught up in it too.

Did I disagree with you that he may have? No.
    But who was first? And to what extent? For how long?

I know there were some concerts where Jimi was "sick"...
    Well, there were a few where he fucked up, don't know if he was necessarily physically unwell, but no indication smack in particular was involved. Aarhus was definitely due to Mandrax; Noel claims he messed up a 1967 gig in Germany due to acid. He only played a short strange set at the moratorium gig, this did not sound or look due to smack either - or acid for that matter, more like he was just extremely pissed off.

what I've heard from someone who was saw him in San Diego in 68 I think at the sports area and they said he was sick and stopped playing
    So you 'heard from someone' - it must be true then It was Balboa Stadium he played in 68. No one else mentions anything like that. Reviews were that he played brilliantly, but was not using his former flashy stage moves much - which was something he gradually did less of from around this time anyway.

although I don't hear that from the boot but it does seem like a short set.
    We'd all love to hear this boot of San Diego '68!!??

San Diego Sports Arena 1969 is a brilliant show though and was released officially (minus Foxy Lady) by A. Douglarse. The complete best quality stereo soundboard sounds even better.

The second bust story....who was this told by?
    Bob Levine

I remember it being told by one of the roadies (?) who was in the car with Hendrix on the way to the airport.
    Not that I've ever heard. It's Bob's story.

If Hendrix was arrested a second time, there would be press reports and it would be corroborated. I thought I've seen the press report of his second arrest....am I mistaken?
    There was no second bust, therefore there are no press reports

27. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

sam, you are right to tear me a new one. I admit there was a time when I was obsessed with Hendrix and only read books about him & listened to boots but it's been a few years and my memory has lapsed so I apologize. Yes I meant 69, my uncle was there and he said Hendrix was sick and stopped playing. About the dope, when did Hendrix dope use start? I've read he used to carry speed around in his early NY days and snorted it frequently. It's pretty hard to maintain casual dope use. I'd be amazed to learn Hendrix was chipping for years. The Bob Levine story seems like a strange thing to make up. Are you sure its fake?

Thanks

sam, you are right to tear me a new one.
    Not my intention, my friend. It's Burdon & Wright's nonsense just annoys me.

Thanks

Hey I would have done the same, can't stand when people don't know what they are talking about! What is your opinion of Hendri'x dope history? when do you think it started? What was his habit like from what you have gathered?