Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 539 Posts

Re: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

$20 Fine
    - I love Stephen and his voice and songs. The songs sounds a bit unfinished but good peformance and song, nice but unspectactular Jimi licks.
    Why wasn't this on the Carry On box set? It's out of place here.

Cherokee Mist
    -Great mix of very familiar recording.

Georgia Blues
    -Same as on the Scorsese comp from what I can tell. Nothing new to see here.

Hear My Train a Comin'
    -Good to have it complete. Not my fave version.

Jungle
    -Think we have this on boot? Nice but unspectacular rehearsal with Buddy, Dagger grade material.

Lover Man
    -Good version...nothing spectacular.

Mannish Boy
    -Don't see the need when there's a very similar composite on Blues.

Power of Soul
    -Good, clean Jimi and Eddie mix, very similar to the others.

Send My Love to Linda
    -Awful hatchet job, hard to think Kramer is behind this travesty. The unheard flamenco-style intro is nice. Dagger grade material.

Stepping Stone
    -Messy, speedy take with a lot of vocals and guitars that must be flown in from other takes. Dagger grade material.

Sweet Angel
    -Very similar to the take on South Saturn Delta but with vibes. Nice.

Things I Used to Do
    -Terrible edits. Awful. Again, hard to think Kramer is behind this travesty.

Woodstock
    -Composite of the booted takes, unspectacular.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    $20 Fine
    Georgia Blues
    -Same as on the Scorsese comp from what I can tell. Nothing new to see here.

Send My Love to Linda
    -Awful hatchet job, hard to think Kramer is behind this travesty. The unheard flamenco-style intro is nice. Dagger grade material.

Stepping Stone
    -Messy, speedy take with a lot of vocals and guitars that must be flown in from other takes. Dagger grade material.

Things I Used to Do
    -Terrible edits. Awful. Again, hard to think Kramer is behind this travesty.
    I think "Georgia" is supposed to be longer, isn't it? (I honestly haven't bothered to check because it's not a song I'm going to revisit often.)

"Send My Love to Linda" is absolutely the worst part of the album. At first I didn't think it was so bad, but...it's embarrassingly put together, IMO.

"Stepping Stone"--Hendrix did overdub onto that recording, so I don't think stuff was flown in. Could be wrong, though.

What's so bad about "Things I Used to Do"? I honestly love the audio quality, but I don't hear anything like the "Linda" edits here. Maybe I'm just not as familiar with the multiple mixes of this track. My only complaint is the weak ending that goes from the middle of solo-ing to suddenly being over.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trampledunderfoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trampledunderfoot View Post
    "Send My Love to Linda" is absolutely the worst part of the album. At first I didn't think it was so bad, but...it's embarrassingly put together, IMO.
    this is how Amazon describes it:
    "...Send My Love To Linda - A superb new Hendrix original composition recorded with Cox and Miles
    in the aftermath of their successful Band Of Gypsys performances at the Fillmore East..."

actually I thought we were going to get the mix Hendrix made..
    McDermott wrote in Ultimate Hendrix:
    January 19, 1970

Prior the conclusion of the session, Hendrix created
    A mix of "Send My Love To Linda", drawing on the
    first take recorded January 16.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 307 Posts

The Vinyl Guide
    Ep 115: Jimi Hendrix Archivist John McDermott
    Monday 5 March 2018

http://pca.st/eiQX

Thanks to wavzy at SH forum. The talk begins from 05:45

8. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem View Post
    The Vinyl Guide
    Ep 115: Jimi Hendrix Archivist John McDermott
    Monday 5 March 2018

http://pca.st/eiQX

Thanks to wavzy at SH forum. The talk begins from 05:45
    This is a great listen, but I read on David Chance's excellent The Collection series notes that more often than not, the levels on Experience Hendrix material is too high and presents clipping, so after all the talk, seems they ain't walkin' the walk. And they go round calling the boot material we have "low-fi" and "lousy mp3 copies" LOL

Thanks

Rolling Stone

Review: Jimi Hendrix's 'Both Sides of the Sky' Mixes Treasures, Fool's Gold
    The third volume of a fascinating vault cleaning is the latest in the neverending story of posthumous releases

By Joe Levy
    2 hours ago

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/a...he-sky-w517598

Thanks

The Barrel has been scraped so much it has holes in it, but not big enough to see what we might be dished up next. This EH release makes Alan Douglas and his Blues release look like a real gem. Now I never thought I would hear myself say that.

Thanks

BackStory Presents: A Jimi Hendrix Experience with Eddie Kramer and John McDermott
    https://youtu.be/Cn79BCdPKVk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to foreverchanges For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Lover Man video:

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karsten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 210 Posts

I have mine, thank you, I have mine ...
    From the other side of the sky

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by foreverchanges View Post
    BackStory Presents: A Jimi Hendrix Experience with Eddie Kramer and John McDermott
    https://youtu.be/Cn79BCdPKVk
    Thanks! This is one of the better interviews I've seen of them during this round of publicity. Nice to see them both give Noel props around the 27:30 mark.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As much as Send My Love to Linda sounds disjointed and is obviously spliced together, I'm still happy to have some sort of definitive version. Regardless at what means they went to. It still sounds better than the awful version of Somewhere off of People Hell & Angels. At this point they have no other means of putting songs together. There's nothing left. So this is the kind of means in which they are going to go to. For better or for worse. I haven't been excited about a Hendrix studio release in 15 years, because I know there's nothing that is going to be of the quality of First Rays or South Saturn Delta. You can only bleed the rock for so long.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to uncle carmi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 912 Posts

Well, what you know? I forgot to pick a copy of this up today at the shops, remember those things, ha ha.

I'll grab it tomorrow.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

we want more,
    Eddie, Eddie!
    real nice Cherokee Mist
    also
    Jungle
    Peoples, peoples, peoples....

Thanks

The first 15 seconds of Send My Love to Linda seems to be from the same session as the first 20 seconds of Captain Coconut from the Crash Landing album.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorGero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"Both Sides of the Sky features 10 officially unreleased Hendrix recordings, including "Send My Love to Linda," "Jungle," "Mannish Boy" and "Cherokee Mist." To promote the album, Band of Gypsys' Cox, blues legend Buddy Guy and a backing band of Experience Hendrix Tour veterans will visit Jimmy Kimmel Live on March 13th to perform a Hendrix track.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...er-man-w517696

Thanks

They could also make a plausible mosaic of 'May I whisper in your ear'.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorGero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem View Post
    "Both Sides of the Sky features 10 officially unreleased Hendrix recordings, including "Send My Love to Linda," "Jungle," "Mannish Boy" and "Cherokee Mist." To promote the album, Band of Gypsys' Cox, blues legend Buddy Guy and a backing band of Experience Hendrix Tour veterans will visit Jimmy Kimmel Live on March 13th to perform a Hendrix track.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...er-man-w517696
    If Billy can still play the bass then Experience Hendrix should break him off some cash and have him add bass to all of these Jimi-Buddy only studio takes they've released on Dagger and now 'Jungle' on 'Both Sides..'

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hope everyone is well,

Of course us Hendrix completists are all happy to have any new songs in official, mastered quality, but this release is the worst yet by Experience Hendrix in terms of selling a "Brand New Jimi Hendrix Album," which they've plastered right on the front of the album on a big, Official, Experience Hendrix sticker. An album, which fully half of the songs have no vocals from Jimi, and which the singles Hear My Train A Comin' and Lover Man have both appeared in "studio versions," and longer ones at that, on 3 of the last 4 "studio albums," is ridiculous. As I said, I bought the album and will happily buy a CD for just one new song in a complete take and mastered quality, but it is not at all fair to the uninitiated Jimi Hendrix fan to come across this mess and believe the dishonest marketing of a "Brand New Jimi Hendrix Studio Album." This collection of songs does not at all flow or blend well as a cohesive album, and all of the interviews and events they've done to try and fabricate some kind of "context" for this mis-mash of other people's songs, rehearsals, and alternate versions is down right sickening.

I own everything Experience Hendrix has ever released, even all the re-re-re-releases. I own each album several times for various mastering or bonus discs, etc. I own the boxed set twice for the purple velvet box and for the metallic shiny box and my Hendrix collection is likely over 200 discs at this point. I was mostly pleased with that set and the West Coast Seattle Boy set. However, these 3 "studio albums," they've released since their dealings with Sony started, have been pushed with extremely overzealous, aggressive, and flat out dishonest marketing. If used as a disc in the purple Jimi Hendrix Experience or West Coast Seattle Boy boxed sets, or as a Dagger records release, I'd be mostly pleased with these discs. I will continue to buy every Experience Hendrix release to stimulate the release of new Jimi material, but I will also publicly advise potential Jimi fans, or the less knowledgeable about his catalog, about what they're getting in these ridiculous "Brand New Jimi Hendrix Album." My desire for new Jimi material takes second place when it's marketed as they are advertising these new "studio albums," to the mainstream market - not worth it for a few new songs in my opinion.

I really hope they shift these to boxed sets or their Dagger records sub-label, which was created for discs like this, but based on how each release gets more brazen in how they define "A Brand New Jimi Hendrix Studio Album," and continues to decline in quality as a "studio album," I'm not hopeful of that. These releases are really muddying the water that is the Jimi Hendrix legacy, which Experience Hendrix seemed to be trying to clear up when they first took control of Jimi's material back in the mid 90's - not the case anymore.

I'm blasting the album throughout my living-room on a Bose Soundlink Mini tonight and have listened to it 4 times in the car today. I've had it for a week and have listened to the "album" in it's entirety about 25 times at this point.

Hope everyone is having a good night,
    Chris Elliott
    I own every CD release Experience Hendrix has ever put out including singles, boxed sets, special editions, live performances, and Dagger releases. I love making my own contextual mixes such as First Rays mixes based on Jimi's hand written track-lists, and the one I'm currently working on, a compilation of all of the material Jimi and Stephen Stills put together.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mccflo99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Got my CD today. Kind of a big "meh", but it had its moments. Personally I probably liked "Woodstock" the best because it rocked. But as long as they were cobbling takes together, I would have liked to have the "Live & Let Live" riff from "Woodstock" segues into the "Live & Let Live" riff from "Linda", with Stills and Jimi switching instruments before fading out. Maybe there's a way I can do that myself at home.

The other Stills song was new to me. Not much else seemed completely new - or if it was, it was hard to get excited about yet another "Lover Man" or "Hear My Train" or "Angel" or "Power of Soul". Particularly underwhelming was "Cherokee Mist". I mean we've all had that in our collections literally for 20 or 30 years. Why did they have to wait so long just to let it out in somewhat improved sound quality? Same for "Linda" which was just cobbled together.

By the way, when are they going to give the same treatment to "Messenger"? I'd like to hear that in better quality.