Thread: Billy Cox on Buddy Miles

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 681 Posts

Billy Cox on Buddy Miles

From Billy's FB page:

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA and a close call for the BAND OF GYPSYS!!!

First let me say, I loved Buddy Miles like a brother and most everyone who knew him will say he was one of kind. All of us who knew Buddy have a Buddy Miles story and then there are those of us who have lots of Buddy stories. Buddy was a few years younger than Jimi and me and at times he acted like a big kid. Every now and then, Jimi and I would find ourselves on the receiving end of Buddy being Buddy.

We had just finished rehearsal at Baggys for the upcoming concerts at the Fillmore. Jimi, Buddy and I stepped outside; this kid was walking by; Buddy did this scary gesture with fingers on both sides of his head and said: “Booga…Booga...Booga.' The kid took off running. The three of us walked on to Buddy’s rental car that he was driving. He turned the car around got on the side street that led to the main street. We heard lots of noise…hollering...cursing…clamoring. Waiting behind the car in front of us, at the light, with cars parked on both sides, we were stuck!

Twenty or so people were gaining on our car, from the back. They had baseball bats, sticks, clubs and other heavy objects. We didn’t know where in the heck they came from. It must have been because of the kid, although Buddy was playing with him. He must have taken offense and somehow was able to round up, in that little length of time, a small squad and it looked like they planned on doing us GREAT HARM!

They reached the back. They began beating and hitting the trunk and both back side panels of our car. Since they did not know if we had any weapons, they did not expose themselves to side windows or front of car, probably just gauging. I’m in the front with Buddy. Jimi is in the back seat. The three of us are caught up, watching the light, willing it to change, but it didn’t. Just as I look back, a blow hits the back window, from the side; it cracked but did not shatter. I was able to see the second blow coming, I did not have time to warn Jimi, I just reached over my seat, jerked Jimi by the collar and pulled him forward. He and the back of the front seat became almost one. Right then, the back window exploded. These guys were moving in for the kill, they intended harm. I’m holding Jimi by the collar, too vulnerable in the back, as I told Buddy to go around that M F car in front of us.

Buddy gunned it, the car in front was pushed with such force that it was moved and it veered to the right, Buddy then went around it. Luckily no car was coming on the main street. We drove back to The Penn Garden Hotel, silently knowing, we had escaped a close one. Buddy and I had rooms there and from the hotel, Jimi caught a cab, back to his apartment, close to Greenwich Village. The three of us were on the sidewalk outside the hotel, as Jimi was getting in his cab, he looked at me and said “thanks, Billy.” The next day Buddy and I went out and looked at the car, parked on the side of the hotel. It looked like it had been in a demolition derby.

The three of us never talked about it again. But Buddy and I briefly mentioned it the last time we were together, a few months before his transition.

To be honest with you, I don’t know how or way we escaped unharmed but we were left to play another day. And as the saying goes, the rest is History!

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,507 Times in 2,436 Posts

Re: Billy Cox on Buddy Miles

Yet another reason for Jimi dumping him
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 681 Posts

I love it when Billy shares his stories and memories, and from what I know and read of him, he must be a very kind and gentle soul. I don't know if he reads CTT but these kind of comments may be a reason for him not sharing them anymore. That would be a pity, isn't it?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I wish Billy would share more stories. He was his closest friend.