Thread: From The Benjamin Franklin Studios 2019 edition parts 1 & 2 now available

Thanks
    Thanked 4,233 Times in 382 Posts

Thumbs up From The Benjamin Franklin Studios 2019 edition parts 1 & 2 now available

Jimpress now has the first 2 parts available of their 'From The Benjamin Franklin Studios' series in their latest incarnation.

I've received these 2 books in the mail the other day, and it was one heavy package....!

Here's a first impression of the books, without much details though, i havent gone through all the 786 pages yet ;-)

Part 1 is the A-Z of songs.

It gives us all those handy 'FTBFS numbers' documenting each version, take, mix and session and lets us know the running times and where the track first appeared on an album, official or bootleg, or just on tape. It is very up to date, it even includes the tracks on Both Sides of the Sky and all the more recent finds on the audience tape front.

I'm sure most of us read the 'mainstream' reviews for Both Sides of the Sky, what struck me was the numerous 'how many versions of 'Train does one need??' Well, if you asked yourself that, this book isnt for you. If you cant get enough or too many, this book might be excellent for you. After all, there are only 66 versions of 'Hear my train A'Comin' known to exist. (Purple Haze has 133, Fire 110, Foxy Lady 124, Red House 112)

(FTBFS next to Electric Gypsy, FTBFS is A4, EG is A5 and yes, thats my coffeemug)

Part 2 - The Appendices

A real treasure trove of information, 2 main parts: The Appendices and Look Over Yonder

The Appendices part consists of 14 chapters on 141 pages which is all good background info on a lot of recordings that you wont get in any other publication. Some of these chapters were in previous incarnations of FTBFS, but they are either completely rewritten here with more info or totally new entries.

Chapters: Untitled Instrumentals and Jams (36 pages), The Mike Ephron Session (4 pages), The Black Gold Suite (2 pages), The Sotheby's tapes (8 pages), Fake Tracks (10 pages), Producers & Engineers (4 pages), The Chandler tapes (2 pages), Curtis Knight Recordings (16 pages), Recorded Interviews and Conversations (10 pages), BOG Rehearsals (10 pages), The Cry of Love Overdub and Mixing Sessions (8 pages), The Lonny Youngblood sessions (18 pages), Apartment Auction Tape (8 pages) and The Freezer Tapes (6 pages)

Look Over Yonder takes the remaining nearly 200 pages. It is a meticulous run-down of Hendrix on Film.
    There is a nice section documenting all the TV shows Jimi et al appeared on while alive, as well as a section on the Promos,
    Video Clips and documentaries made during and after Jimi's lifetime.

It details contents of all the Official and Unofficial VHS tapes, DVDs, laserdiscs, even Blu-ray discs.

There's a Chronological Cross Reference of Jimi Hendrix Film Archives spanning nearly 50 pages that documents everything, be it audience shot 8mm, TV footage, 16mm amateur and/or pro footage, all with insightful background info.

There's so much raw information in these books that it would be near impossible to eliminate mistakes, but I have to say they did a great job......and i dont say that easily ;-)

Now if you always wanted to get FTBFS but never did because it was out of print, outdated or out of your financial reach: Get it now! They may seem pricey, but you're getting literally kilos of paper jampacked with all the relevant info to enjoy those tunes even more. Just imagine all the work that went into this, its really good value when you look at it that way...

For more info and ordering: http://www.jimpress.uk/benfranklin.htm

(Despite what it says on that Jimpress page, its available to everyone now who wants to order it, not just JP subscribers)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: From The Benjamin Franklin Studios 2019 edition parts 1 & 2 now available

used to buy the jimpress magazines and the very first FTBFS edition and although very informative there were too many errors and with such high price tags I feel better options are available

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foreverchanges For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,096 Times in 902 Posts

The first edition of Ben Franklin was a single book, it has evolved into six volumes with a possible expantion on the horizon!

When you speak of the first edition of this book, that was two decades ago, things change and these certainly have.

I can say for a fact, no physical book will be 100% accurate and I can add that given the size of the current six volumes there are certainly going to be errors.

So when you say "better options" I agree, there are better options to a twenty year old book. But maybe you mean free, and these sure ain't cheap or environmentally friendly!!

I think we all look for value for money and you do get it here as you do with Jimpress. The fact that folk don't want to invest and simply look for the free option is telling but not all that is free is good value. I just have to look here at this site and see just how long it took to reach it's running cost target and that tells me all I need to know about todays Hendrix collector!

Ben Franklin Studios is a corner stone to any Hendrix collector and used in conjunction with Doug Bell's site, the Early Hendrix site and one or two other publications along the way it gets me thru' the minefield of Jimi collecting that's for sure. Correction, got me thru', past tense!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

when does collecting become an obsession ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,233 Times in 382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foreverchanges View Post
    when does collecting become an obsession ?
    I Googled that question and got results from all kinds of collections and collectors, but even in the Hendrix 'world' there are many 'niches'. Some people only collect photos for example, others collect vinyl and the slightest difference with covers, wax markings makes an item desirable to them while it offers no new musical content whatsoever.

Personally, the aim of my collecting was always to get all the different recordings, audio and video.
    This started in the cassette-trading days before there was internet downloads.
    Quite obsessive, with the handwritten lists of cassettes everyone had and traded.
    You'd look for whatever you didnt have on someone's list and traded for that with what the other trader didnt have.

In those days, those trader's lists pretty much were all the info on which recordings exist available.

Kees de Lange and Ben Valkhoff then made 'Plug Your Ears' which was a book and later a website with all the recordings' details. This is nearly 30 years ago already......

I'll just say that the newest FTBFS books are that invaluable reference point now, but it depends on what you collect and like reading about. There are excellent books about single gigs or periods in Jimi's career like Rudy Kronfuss book about the Vienna shows, Ken Davidoff's book about Miami Pop, or Ben Valkhoff's RAH book. There is only FTBFS when it comes to all the recording's info. Sure, you have to be a bit obsessed ;-)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I bought bootlegs of Jimi Hendrix in a cd store in Ede in the Netherlands. That's where it started for me. I had no contacts with other traders. I always wondered where the guy of the cd store got the bootlegs from, until I found a card in one of the bootlegs with contact information of the supplier. It turned out to be Hot Wax based in Germany. I bought more than a hundred bootlegs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    I just have to look here at this site and see just how long it took to reach it's running cost target and that tells me all I need to know about todays Hendrix collector!
    It was found that the only way to contribute to the Gofundme was by credit card, so those of us who do not have one could not donate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vkd108 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    The first edition of Ben Franklin was a single book, it has evolved into six volumes with a possible expantion on the horizon!

When you speak of the first edition of this book, that was two decades ago, things change and these certainly have.

I can say for a fact, no physical book will be 100% accurate and I can add that given the size of the current six volumes there are certainly going to be errors.

So when you say "better options" I agree, there are better options to a twenty year old book. But maybe you mean free, and these sure ain't cheap or environmentally friendly!!

I think we all look for value for money and you do get it here as you do with Jimpress. The fact that folk don't want to invest and simply look for the free option is telling but not all that is free is good value. I just have to look here at this site and see just how long it took to reach it's running cost target and that tells me all I need to know about todays Hendrix collector!

Ben Franklin Studios is a corner stone to any Hendrix collector and used in conjunction with Doug Bell's site, the Early Hendrix site and one or two other publications along the way it gets me thru' the minefield of Jimi collecting that's for sure. Correction, got me thru', past tense!
    I actually agree with both points of view on this one. The guys at Jimpress (IMO) do an excellent job; I have older editions of From The Benjamin Franklin Studios in my collection. I also used to subscribe to both UV and Jimpress at one point in time. I do think BF is an invaluable resource for those that seek the finer details and they do (could) make an important part of any Jimi collection. That being said, I think it's fair to say that (at least for us in the U.S. - and probably Canada), the small, self funded publications that emanate from the UK/EU are quite expensive. To get both volumes of these new editions, it'll cost (at today's exchange rate) a minimum of $118. If you want it sooner, the airmail option is going to cost you even more (nearly $140) . I'm not making any judgement here on the quality of the books or their usefulness. "Value" has always been in the eye of the beholder. I'm not one of those fans/collectors that thinks they should be able to get their information for free, online. I'm old school in the sense that I like to have reference materials in my hands. I do think it's fair to say, however, that $118/$140 is a good chunk of change for books. In the end, it's a personal choice (as all things regarding our interest/hobbies are), but I get the concerns about the cost.