Thread: 1967-11-11 New Refectory, Sussex University, Brighton, Sussex, England

Thanks

1967-11-11 New Refectory, Sussex University, Brighton, Sussex, England

Saturday, November 11th, 1967

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    See post #2
    no recording has surfaced
    Last edited by Fenders Fingers; 03-21-14 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,768 Times in 229 Posts

Re: 1967-11-11 New Refectory, Sussex University, Brighton, Sussex, England

Setlist:
    Stone Free
    Manic Depression
    Hey Joe
    Little Miss Lover
    The Wind Cries Mary
    The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp
    Purple Haze
    Wild Thing

Source: http://www.alvinlee.de/1967.htm

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to okla70homa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 362 Posts

I like how the article says the performance wasn't that great because he didn't play all of his hits. I assume this means Foxy Lady . By today's standards If we had a tape of this we would probably love it primarily because he didn't play all the hits and there a quite a few rarities in that set.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 2,463 Posts

Saturday 11 November 1967
    Brighton, New Refectory, Sussex University, Lewes Road, Sussex, England. JHE
    Concert
    Two photos have flat white screen backdrop?; dark-red?/black? velvet suit; inside shirt collar looks like it has small dots pattern, or, maybe it’s one of his necklaces?; scarf; R. long silver ring & stone ring, L. ring; white/rose Strat w’ floral roundels strap
    Other photo has textured, patterned, sewn backdrop: multi coloured blotchy shirt w. rounded collar, R. long silver ring & stone ring, L. two rings; dark-red?/black? velvet suit trousers w. chain link belt; white/rose Strat w’ the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap.
    Support: Ten Years After
    Audience: ~ 2,000
    Songs – remembered by Allan Clark:

Stone Free
    Manic Depression
    Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
    Little Miss Lover
    The Wind Cries Mary
    The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp
    Purple Haze
    Wild Thing (James ‘Chip Taylor’ Voight)

Noel: “Terrible gig.”

“One of the worst gigs we ever did. Should have missed it. Everyone was terrible. Left town immediatey.”

Wine Press (16 November) anonymous reviewer. “The Jimi Hendrix Experience, one of the most costly groups yet to appear at this University, (£500), was in general disappointing. Arriving twenty minutes late and spending further time tuning their instruments, they eventually played for less than half the hour for which they were booked. A crowd of nearly 2,000 crammed into level 2 of the New Refectory saw him do mainly blues, which require from him only a minimum of effort. He did not even play all his hits, although he reproduced extremely well the difficult ‘The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp’. Even his famed version of ‘Wild Thing’ was only marginally superior to that of ‘The Troggs’. On the other hand, an unknown group – ‘Ten Years After’, - played three times as long for far less cash (£60). The dance was again infiltrated by non-students, who obtained their tickets from the College of Education.”

Carol Lashmar (BIOLS 1966): "I helped out with the lighting on the Jimi Hendrix concert in the New Refectory. He came on an hour late at least after drinking rather a lot of whiskey, but don't think it made much difference to the concert in the end!"

Andrew Forrest (AFRAS 1966): "I also saw Hendrix in Falmer House, that would have been '67 I think. Hendrix was in a bad mood and kept sticking his tongue out at the audience."

Gillian Rosner (ENGAM 1967): "[The Jimi Hendrix gig] must have been '68 or '69. My friends and I were standing really close to the stage and at the end of the concert, one of the group asked us "would you like to come out after with Jimi and the boys?" My friends were all for going, but I decided against it, imagining that we would probably end up with the stage hands, not with the man himself!"

Jolyon Bone (ENGG 1966): "Jimi Hendrix was aggressive and completely off his face!"

Allan Clark (Freshman): “I went to a dance at Sussex University on November 11, 1967 because the headliner was The Jimi Hendrix Experience who was suppose to play at 9:00 or 10:00pm. Because it was a dance, there were no seats, just five stages with various bands playing all the time. To make sure we, meaning my girlfriend and another friend from UKC in Kent, England, had just started our first year, as freshman We made sure we got a good view of Jimi Hendrix, we arrived at the front of the stage a good hour before he was scheduled to play. No problem. There was a support band playing before Hendrix, guys called Ten Years After, with this guy with long hair, orange guitar, and orange knitted “Waistcoat” and the fastest fingers I had ever seen! Great opening session, then came Jimi. We were right in the front of him, and it’s one of my treasured memories. Another great session. Nobody left the stage area, because here came Alvin Lee and gang for a second stint / session. Two fabulous guitarist, but so different. One whose fingers were a blur, and one who hardly seemed to move his hand at all. What a contrast, what a night”.
    The Hendrix set list was as follows: Stone Free – Manic Depression – Hey Joe – Little Miss Lover – The Wind Cries Mary - The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp – Purple Haze and Wild Thing.
    I was fortunate to see the whole “Hendrix” concert, I use quotation marks because, to us, “Ten Years After” and “Hendrix” were equally revered, although no one would believe that now! There was no doubt who was the main attraction, the noise level was awesome, we thought it was snowing, only to realize paint was flaking down from the ceiling”.

Mike Hayes (The “Shame” and the “Scheme”, played on level “1”) “We were scheduled to play at the same time as Hendrix, surprisingly, some people actually stayed to watch us play! We finished our set early and rushed upstairs to catch part of the Hendrix set. We were also able to watch all of the Ten Years After set. I know that at the end of the evening, it took us a long time to pack up our gear and vacate the building, as the Hendrix roadies took over the lifts to shift their mountains of Marshall amps and cabinets etc.
    Last edited by stplsd; 05-22-16 at 01:16 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 362 Posts

Sussex

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 1,460 Posts

THE ARGUS, UK. 2017-11-11

Remembering the day "grumpy" Jimi Hendrix rocked University of Sussex

HE IS one of the greatest rock stars ever – but 50 years ago today Jimi Hendrix was performing in the modest surroundings of the University of Sussex’s refectory.
    The legendary musician played as part of a line-up that also included Pink Floyd in November 1967, three years before his death.
    While hundreds of students rocked out at the concert, one giggoer was left underwhelmed by Hendrix’s performance.
    Jeff Alterman, who studied at the university from 1965 to 1970, has told The Argus how he remembers the icon appearing distracted at the show.
    He said: “He seemed very grumpy and didn’t play for long. He came on late, too.”
    Perhaps he got caught in Crosstown Traffic getting to the venue.
    He added: “He didn’t stay on stage long because he didn’t seem to be enjoying it. Apparently he didn’t play a full set and I don’t know exactly why.”
    Andrew Forrest, another alumni of the university, said Hendrix “was in a bad mood and kept sticking his tongue out at the audience.”
    Despite the apparently disappointing gig, Mr Alterman said everyone at the university was thrilled to see Hendrix play as he was considered a “God”.
    In 1967, Hendrix had not yet become an international superstar. He and his band The Jimi Hendrix Experience had only just released their debut record Are You Experienced?
    Mr Alterman said: “We were still pleased to see him here but we realised he hadn’t been in the best of humour.”
    Mr Alterman was privy to the negotiations that took place to get Hendrix to the university as he had a friend who worked for the promotion company. He remembered that it cost £450 to attract the rock idol to Sussex.
    Hendrix’s University of Sussex show was in stark contrast to his concert at Brighton Dome just a month later, according to Mr Alterman. The star returned to the city for the second gig on December 2.
    Mr Alterman said: “The Dome performance was much better. “Hendrix is still the best guitarist I’ve ever seen. I have never seen such talent.”
    Hendrix also played in Crawley and Hastings in October 1967.

LINK - http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15654...ity_of_Sussex/

PHOTOS - https://www.flickr.com/photos/sussex...7670876942253/
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 05-21-18 at 09:20 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post: