Thread: June 1968 studio jams: "Blow", and "Inside Out"?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 683 Posts

June 1968 studio jams: "Blow", and "Inside Out"?

The EH Encyclopedia has these two interesting entries for studio recordings made by Jimi Hendrix in June 1968 at the Record Plant in New York:

June 10th, 1968

Buddy Miles, Mike Finnigan, Larry Faucette and Freddy Smith joined Hendrix in New York City’s Record Plant studios to record “Rainy Day, Dream Away.” Additional jams were also recorded in the studio, but are merely labeled on the surviving tape box as “Blow.” Hendrix also completes a series of overdubs and mixes for “Voodoo Chile,” “House Burning Down,” and “1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be).” Also present in the studio on this date is Velvert Turner.

June 11th, 1968

It is unknown to what extent any studio efforts on this date had as no multitrack masters or tape copies are known to exist. However, the master list of tape boxes from the Record Plant sesssions refers to a track titled, “Inside Out” as having been recorded on this date. It has been reported that Buddy Miles, Jack Bruce and Jim McCarty may have joined Hendrix in the studio on this date.

http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/encycl...1968-6&cat=439

Has anyone heard of these songs/jams "Blow" and "Inside Out", the first of which the reels are apparently in possession of EH and the second lost or perhaps in hands of one of the members of that jam?

Thanks

Re: June 1968 studio jams: "Blow", and "Inside Out"?

We have Inside Out (1) & Inside Out (2) from this date.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruud View Post
    We have Inside Out (1) & Inside Out (2) from this date.
    Apparently on a collector's disc called Groove. According to H.P. Johnsen's site (http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/hendrix.html#groove_2) it's a jam based around "Ezy Ryder."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 559 Posts

"Blow" might just be "Rainy Day Shuffle" (see "Lifelines") and those other jazzy/bluesy outtakes of the session that are the bootlegs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 539 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    "Blow" might just be "Rainy Day Shuffle" (see "Lifelines") and those other jazzy/bluesy outtakes of the session that are the bootlegs.

Off course. And Inside Out has been out on bootleg for years, though we never knew it under that name.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Off course. And Inside Out has been out on bootleg for years, though we never knew it under that name.
    The name usually given to this track was "Ezy Rider Instrumental": It can be found (among others) on the following bootleg cds: Electric Hendrix 2, 1968 AD, Electric Ladyland Outtakes, Every Way To Paradise & Freak Out Jam and on the collector set Studio'69.

Thanks

That track ("Inside Out"/"Ezy Ryder") is really interesting - parts of it sound like they're right out of "Peace in Mississippi" to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,592 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    That appears to be correct

Thanks

Thank you all. But I still wonder then why EH is so mysterious (or simply uninformed?) about it. They clearly have no one up there who collects bootlegs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gesikang View Post
    Thank you all. But I still wonder then why EH is so mysterious (or simply uninformed?) about it. They clearly have no one up there who collects bootlegs
    I wouldn't say they're really being either...those are the names on the tape boxes. If purple jim's right and "Rainy Day Shuffle" and/or the other outtakes from that day (that we have) are "Blow," then "Rainy Day Shuffle" was probably a Douglas-era renaming ala "Captain Coconut," (or the travesty "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"). Regarding "Inside Out"...well, it's easy to be "uninformed" when they don't have access to the tapes, and I can't see it being company policy to go out and give money to actual bootleggers.

The encyclopedia itself is clearly incomplete, too, and hasn't been thoroughly revised (yet)...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 899 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sequelenoise View Post
    The name usually given to this track was "Ezy Rider Instrumental": It can be found (among others) on the following bootleg cds: Electric Hendrix 2, 1968 AD, Electric Ladyland Outtakes, Every Way To Paradise & Freak Out Jam and on the collector set Studio'69.
    Can be found in best quality in trading circles.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 899 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trampledunderfoot View Post
    I wouldn't say they're really being either...those are the names on the tape boxes. If purple jim's right and "Rainy Day Shuffle" and/or the other outtakes from that day (that we have) are "Blow," then "Rainy Day Shuffle" was probably a Douglas-era renaming ala "Captain Coconut," (or the travesty "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"). Regarding "Inside Out"...well, it's easy to be "uninformed" when they don't have access to the tapes, and I can't see it being company policy to go out and give money to actual bootleggers.

The encyclopedia itself is clearly incomplete, too, and hasn't been thoroughly revised (yet)...
    I'm fairly sure EH have the "Inside Out" tapes, that'll be the original tapes and not the higher gen copy the bootleggers have been using (originally) or the bootleg copies of the bootleg copy !!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    I'm fairly sure EH have the "Inside Out" tapes, that'll be the original tapes and not the higher gen copy the bootleggers have been using (originally) or the bootleg copies of the bootleg copy !!
    "It is unknown to what extent any studio efforts on this date had as no multitrack masters or tape copies are known to exist. However, the master list of tape boxes from the Record Plant sessions refers to a track titled, “Inside Out” as having been recorded on this date. It has been reported that Buddy Miles, Jack Bruce and Jim McCarty may have joined Hendrix in the studio on this date."

That's the entry for June 11th, as quoted by gesikang above.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Can be found in best quality in trading circles.
    I am so bummed because for a minute I thought I had that track. Oops it's Electric Hendrix 2 but tape 2 not tape 1 with that track. I never did aquire that first CD.

Thanks

I listened to the Groove bootleg's Inside Out 1 and 2 or its Ezy Rider jams, or rather, rehearsals.

I find it very hard to believe that these two songs, could have been played in June 1968. Stylistically speaking, they should date from late 1969. It also sounds like Billy playing bass and the guitar sounds as if played through an univibe, all not very possible for Summer '68.

So, any other ideas on "Inside out"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 539 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gesikang View Post
    I listened to the Groove bootleg's Inside Out 1 and 2 or its Ezy Rider jams, or rather, rehearsals.

I find it very hard to believe that these two songs, could have been played in June 1968. Stylistically speaking, they should date from late 1969. It also sounds like Billy playing bass and the guitar sounds as if played through an univibe, all not very possible for Summer '68.

So, any other ideas on "Inside out"?

It's a Leslie speaker used on the guitar, not a Univibe. Tax Free from spring 1968 has the same sound. That should be Jimi on bass.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,612 Times in 785 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    It's a Leslie speaker used on the guitar, not a Univibe. Tax Free from spring 1968 has the same sound. That should be Jimi on bass.
    Almost 2 years after this post.......
    saw on:
    Hear Every Track on “New” Hendrix Album – “People, Hell and Angels” Preview Guide

http://thefutureheart.com/2013/01/25/hendrix-2013/

INSIDE OUT
    Recorded: June 11, 1968 at Record Plant Studios
    Backstory: “Jimi was fascinated by the rhythm pattern which would ultimately take form as ‘Ezy Ryder,’ reads the press release.
    Indeed. 2010′s Valley’s of Neptune gave us “Lullaby For The Summer” (recorded April 7, 1969) and the 2011 Record Store Day “Fire” single dug even deeper for its B-side, the previously unreleased “Touch You” (recorded December 20, 1967) – both variations of what became “Ezy Rider,” both different. Then there’s a jam coupled with the “Star Spangled Banned” from February 14, 1969 on Hear My Music, “Slow” from February 16, 1969, and the January 23, 1970 recording on Burning Desire that Alan Douglas edited into and retitled “MLK” and “Captain Coconut.” All of these except the last pre-date the first attempt to record a basic track for “Ezy Rider” itself (on December 18, 1969 with the Band of Gypsys). The eventual “Ezy Rider” studio track was created over the following year and released on 1971′s The Cry Of Love (and on CD on First Rays of the New Rising Sun). Hendrix brought Traffic’s Steve Winwood and Chris Wood into the process in June 1970 (the “Purple Box” offers an alternate take). He also worked it into several of his final live sets (most famously at Isle of Wight).
    So what is the embryonic variation of “Ezy Rider” on People, Hell and Angels, “Inside Out”?
    Joined here by Mitch Mitchell,” the press release notes, “Jimi recorded all of the bass and guitar parts for this fascinating song–including a dramatic lead guitar part amplified through a Leslie organ speaker.” The track that will appear on the new album is usually bootlegged under the title “Ezy Rider Instrumental” (i.e. on 1968 AD, Electric Ladyland Outtakes, Every Way To Paradise, Freak Out Jam, Studio’69). It appears on Electric Hendrix 2 as “Instrumental Jam (Unreleased Studio Track)” and on Groove (Collectors’ Disc) as “Inside Out.” Parts of it are similar to posthumous Hendrix classic “Peace In Mississippi.”
    Expect: All of the above is just a long-winded way of saying this is a rare track partly based around a riff later used in “Ezy Rider” – but the similarly ends there. The rest will be new to anybody who hasn’t heard the bootlegs.
    Worth buying? Factoring in Jimi plays bass and Leslie guitar effects, this could be interesting. It’s also the closest to truly be new on the “new” album (behind the aforementioned “Let Me Move You”).

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post: