Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 94 Posts

    Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Big thanks to TOMC for providing the files.

    Jimi Hendrix & Curtis Knight

    "Birth of Success - The Bargain Bin Collection"
    (Collector's compilation, 2003, 4CDR)

    - Vinyl to CD transfer of Astan's 5 LPs released in 1981:
    01. "Last Night"
    02. "Second Time Around"
    03. "Mr. Pitiful"
    04. "Welcome Home"
    05. "My Best Friend"

    - Vinyl to CD transfer of the LP "Birth of Success" (MFP 50053):
    06. "Birth of Success"

    - Vinyl to CD transfer of HörZu's LP:
    07. "Jimi Hendrix Live - Birth of Success"

    - Vinyl to CD transfer of two more tracks, "No Such Animal pt.1 & 2"
    (Jimi's earliest published composition) from Carrere's LP:
    08. "Cosmic Turnaround"

    - Transfer of several tracks from Capitol's cassette tape
    (the rest contains fakes or non-Hendrix/Curtis Knight material):
    09. "Early Instrumentals"

    - Precise lineage is unknown (transferred to CD from vinyl and tape).
    - Artwork included.

    Track list:
    Disc 1
    LP "Birth of Success" (MFP 50053)
    01. I'm A Man
    02. Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
    03. Get Out Of My Life Woman
    04. Ain't That Peculiar
    05. Last Night
    06. Satisfaction
    07. Land Of 1000 Dances
    08. U.F.O.
    LP "Jimi Hendrix Live - Birth of Success" (HörZu SHZE 293)
    09. Driving South
    10. I'm A Man
    11. On The Killing Floor
    12. California Night
    13. Ain't That Peculiar
    14. What'd I Say
    15. Bright Lights Big City

    Disc 2
    LP "Last Night" (Astan 201016)
    01. Money
    02. You Got Me Running
    03. Hang On Sloopy
    04. Running Slow
    05. Last Night
    06. I've Got A Sweet Little Angel
    07. You Got What It Takes
    08. Walking The Dog
    09. Bright Lights Big City
    10. My Fault
    LP "Second Time Around" (Astan 201018)
    11. Torture Me Honey
    12. Mercy Lady Day
    13. Hard Night
    14. Second Time Around
    15. Got To Have It

    Disc 3
    LP "Mr. Pitiful" (Astan 201019)
    01. Wolly Bully
    02. Left Alone
    03. Have Mercy
    04. Something You've Got
    05. Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
    06. Stand By Me
    07. Hold On To What You Got
    08. Mr. Pitiful
    09. I Should've Quit You
    LP "Welcome Home" (Astan 201020)
    10. Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
    11. Get Out Of My Life Woman
    12. Ain't That Peculiar
    13. Welcome Home
    14. Not This Time
    15. What'd I Say
    16. I'll Be Doggone
    17. Driving South
    18. It's Not My Fault

    Disc 4
    LP "My Best Friend" (Astan 201017)
    01. Get That Feeling
    02. Happy Birthday
    03. Hush Now
    04. Day Tripper
    05. Odd Ball
    06. Sleepy Fate
    07. My Best Friend
    Cassette "Early Instrumentals" (Capitol Special Markets 4XL-57282)
    08. Love Love
    09. Hush Now
    10. Knock Yourself Out
    11. Hornet's Nest
    12. Level
    LP "Cosmic Turnaround" (Carrere CA 693-64000)
    13. No Such Animal pt.1
    14. No Such Animal pt.2

    August 2008.
    Last edited by Emilovious; 08-13-08 at 01:34 PM.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art


    By emilovius at 2008-08-13

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    ThX Emil for posting these originally vilnyl releases of our shared star.

    ThX

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    338
    Thanked 881 Times in 38 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Looks like great stuff ~ thanks for the post !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    A HUGE THANX EMIL FOR THE UP...and A VERY VERY SPECIAL THANX TO TOM FOR PROVIDING THE FILES.

    HB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    I have the set of Astan vinyl releases and there is a 6th one called "Hush Now" (ASTAN 201021).
    thanx - bruce

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Thanks for reminding me Bruce, just uploaded "Hush Now" rip here:

    http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...=4813#post4813

    It's not as good as this one (rip) but I have no other.
    Maybe you can check the one I've uploaded, compare
    it with the LP you have and try to make an upgrade, if needed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In France
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Smile Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Many thanx for these debut gems and pieces of Jimi's history ! Very interesting !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Thanks, I have often thought Birth and Whatd I Say were the best of the early releases.

    The "LP "Jimi Hendrix Live - Birth of Success" (HörZu SHZE 293)" appears to be the same LP as the What'd I Say MFP release......the Driving South is worth the download alone

    There are some dated studio effects added to these tapes, but they still sound better than the later releases

    I bought the Astan releases when they came out in the 80's and they didnt sound as good as the MFP, but are still listenable.

    The German PPX "remaster" cds that came out 8 years ago really sound bad.....I mean horrible!

    These recording give a glimpse into what Jimi was into before he met Chas........doing popular R&B covers of the day
    Last edited by popskull; 08-14-08 at 05:51 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    I can't wait to hear this, thanks!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Quote Originally Posted by popskull View Post
    Thanks, I have often thought Birth and Whatd I Say were the best of the early releases.

    The "LP "Jimi Hendrix Live - Birth of Success" (HörZu SHZE 293)" appears to be the same LP as the What'd I Say MFP release......the Driving South is worth the download alone

    There are some dated studio effects added to these tapes, but they still sound better than the later releases

    I bought the Astan releases when they came out in the 80's and they didnt sound as good as the MFP, but are still listenable.

    The German PPX "remaster" cds that came out 8 years ago really sound bad.....I mean horrible!

    These recording give a glimpse into what Jimi was into before he met Chas........doing popular R&B covers of the day
    Agreed absolutely.
    I have a few of the original MFP LPs too (Strange Things, Birth of Success, JH & CK), unfortunately none of them is in good enough shape today to make a good transfer. I've listened to Jimi's solos in "Land of 1000 Dances", "Driving South" or "I'm a Man" to death...lol!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    973
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 96 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Quote Originally Posted by popskull View Post

    The German PPX "remaster" cds that came out 8 years ago really sound bad.....I mean horrible!
    the PPX tapes were "remastered" here in Germany close to Hamburg back in the Nineties, and the biggest problem was that the master reels had been stored really badly, and they were sticking to each other and just a mess. I have seen them once, and my first thought was....my god, they are impossible to use. I think they tried baking them and just did the best they could. Really, they were in unbelievably bad shape....
    and no......i did not make any copies, etc.....too bad. there was still some stuff they did not issue i seem to remember.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Quote Originally Posted by Olvatore View Post
    the PPX tapes were "remastered" here in Germany close to Hamburg back in the Nineties, and the biggest problem was that the master reels had been stored really badly, and they were sticking to each other and just a mess. I have seen them once, and my first thought was....my god, they are impossible to use. I think they tried baking them and just did the best they could. Really, they were in unbelievably bad shape....
    and no......i did not make any copies, etc.....too bad. there was still some stuff they did not issue i seem to remember.
    Unbelievable!
    Haven't they made any copies, safety masters, anything?
    Same old story with most of Hendrix (obscure) material.
    It seems that nobody thought they'll be worth anything
    these days.
    Thanks for the story Olve.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    From what I have gathered, Chalpin would license his tapes out to whoever wanted them for a fee. The live takes were done on a wollensack reel recorder, so the fidelity is adequate for the era. Its a shame the tapes were not better preserved to take full advantage of the digital tools available today.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Quote Originally Posted by popskull View Post
    From what I have gathered, Chalpin would license his tapes out to whoever wanted them for a fee. The live takes were done on a wollensack reel recorder, so the fidelity is adequate for the era. Its a shame the tapes were not better preserved to take full advantage of the digital tools available today.
    Yes, so true.
    I also think that Hendrix/Knight material is often underrated. Not that I want to say that it's an excellent music but it's certainly interesting for all Hendrix fans. It also shows, IMHO, that Jimi was already a complete blues-rock virtuoso in New York 1965-66. Contrary to popular belief that only when he reached England he went through some kind of an overnight growing up as a guitarist and musician.

    Also , I'm probably among those few whose first Jimi's record was the one recorded with Curtis Knight (when I was young the market was overflown with such releases with bombastic titles like "Genius of Jimi Hendrix or Eternal Fire of JH etc...). I was 12 years old and it was a Swedish LP called "That Special Sound" with tracks like "Flashing", Happy Birthday" and "Love Love" (never heard about Hendrix before). Instrumental wah-wah extravaganza "Love, Love" made such an impression on me that I listened to it for days non-stop (OK, some of you will now say that it was actually recorded in '67 - forget about it for a second, please). IMHO, today, if you mix that track together with others usually played in "Trance" or "House" clubs, nobody would notice that it's actually 40 years old recording. Everyone would think it's some kind of contemporary experiment - especially if we'd be bold enough (we can call Alan Douglas to do it) to overdub the drum track with a rhythm-machine.
    Check "Love Love" instrumental and answer the question: "Who invented "Rave" music? - LOL!
    Last edited by Emilovious; 08-15-08 at 07:23 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Hi thxx you man, I had some of that stuff on LP (The Red en yellow star LP), you could buy that real cheap for 5 dutch guilders (at V&D). Never find other LP's with that old vintage stuff of Jimi untill now.
    Massive thxx.
    Peace Strat58

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Quote Originally Posted by Emilovious View Post
    Yes, so true.
    I also think that Hendrix/Knight material is often underrated. Not that I want to say that it's an excellent music but it's certainly interesting for all Hendrix fans. It also shows, IMHO, that Jimi was already a complete blues-rock virtuoso in New York 1965-66. Contrary to popular belief that only when he reached England he went through some kind of an overnight growing up as a guitarist and musician.

    Also , I'm probably among those few whose first Jimi's record was the one recorded with Curtis Knight (when I was young the market was overflown with such releases with bombastic titles like "Genius of Jimi Hendrix or Eternal Fire of JH etc...). I was 12 years old and it was a Swedish LP called "That Special Sound" with tracks like "Flashing", Happy Birthday" and "Love Love" (never heard about Hendrix before). Instrumental wah-wah extravaganza "Love, Love" made such an impression on me that I listened to it for days non-stop (OK, some of you will now say that it was actually recorded in '67 - forget about it for a second, please). IMHO, today, if you mix that track together with others usually played in "Trance" or "House" clubs, nobody would notice that it's actually 40 years old recording. Everyone would think it's some kind of contemporary experiment - especially if we'd be bold enough (we can call Alan Douglas to do it) to overdub the drum track with a rhythm-machine.
    Check "Love Love" instrumental and answer the question: "Who invented "Rave" music? - LOL!
    I use to collect all the pre experience hendrix lp's back in the 70's, just becouse a) I was a poor teenager and they were cheap and b) they usually had some nice pictures on them, esp the numbered "del collection stars rock" type Italian/European releases...they had some nice inserts and photos in them.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    Quote Originally Posted by popskull View Post
    "del collection stars rock"
    LOL!
    I know what you mean. In late 70s and early 80s I used to travel around Europe in search of rare Jimi's boot vinyls. When I found "what I coud find" if there was some money left I used to buy some of these releases too. I remember the "fever" of expectation to finally reach home and put some of the new stuff on turntable (no ipods, mp3 players or CD players in those days - some shops did have turntables buy but their quality wasn't often acceptable so I used to wait until I get back home to preserve the recording as best as possible).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Eindhoven, Holland
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Birth of Success (The Bargain Bin Collection - 4CDs) - Flac+Art

    This is a great collection! Thanks for this one, man!

    EDIT: Could somebody please seed? I'm downloading like 0.1 kbp/s
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace

Similar Threads

  1. Roger Mayer - Birth of the Octavia, Guitar Player April 07
    By Ezy Rider in forum Jimi Hendrix And Other Interviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-13, 09:13 PM
  2. Complete Collection
    By Roland Stone in forum Third Stone From The Sun
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-01-11, 02:49 AM
  3. Birth Of Success FLAC (Jimi/Squires)
    By Jimi_Uchihaeyez in forum Banned Torrents
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-09, 09:53 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-27-08, 11:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBitty (VBTT) 4 for XBT v1.1 CUSTOM by Toolmanwill